Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Put a Little Love in Your Heart!

Ah, Valentine's Day. Doing Valentine's Day right is a tricky business. Come on! You know I'm right! Either you don't do enough for that special someone and they wind up disappointed, or you go above and beyond and your efforts aren't appreciated. Finding the middle ground is difficult.

For myself, I've found that for The Grouch (that would be my husband who isn't much into celebrating "Hallmark" holidays), a small, well thought out gift, a card and a nice meal are all he needs. Me? I need a bit more than that, but that's another post (entire blog? lol!) entirely. And, I'll be honest and reveal that The Grouch is very much a card and heart full of candy kind of guy. Not that that is a bad thing, because the sentiment is there. But, sometimes, you want the day to feel... Special. So, I've learned to create that special feeling for myself, because I know what I want from the day.

Yesterday, I spent part of the day hunting down little gifts and cards for The Grouch and The Little Grouchkin (that would be my daughter, who is so much like her father that it is scary). Then I joined my daughter at school for her class party. I took a mylar Valentine's balloon with me to give her to make her feel loved♥♥♥. Afterwards, she and I came home and made dinner together, including a strawberry fudge heart!

It was remarkable how much joy this brought me! The joy of accomplishment, the joy of sharing with the people I love, the joy that came with the fun we had making it... It made my whole day wonderful, and it was remarkably easy to make! I found the idea for it on Pinterest, but here is the link to the original site where the recipe is. I have a heart shaped pan from Pampered Chef, so the shape was easy and the taste is yummy! Just like Strawberry Qwik!

So, in short, if you always feel a little deflated by these holidays where others are supposed to make you feel special and sometimes aren't successful, find a way to make that day special for yourself. Bake something that you love, or buy yourself flowers, or clean your kitchen spotless and look at it shine with a smile on your face. Because, ultimately, we are in charge of our own happiness :).

No comments:

Post a Comment